Sunday, March 7, 2010

Yes... Turkey CAN be tasty!

Wow!  Cannot believe that I am blogging again!  I am trying not to get too excited, but two consecutive days is BIG for me.

On Sunday's I try to prepare a big meal so that it lasts for at least one day.  Actually- the truth is that I want at least two days of leftovers so that I can start the week not having to rush home to cook.  That is the only reason why I cook larger meals on Sundays- Not because I love to slave in the kitchen making a mountain of dirty pots and pans to clean.

Anyway, today I was busy and wanted to get a few things done...  To do a little cleaning, take a 8 mile jog, and take my son out to ride his bike...  Oh yes!  And to cook dinner!   Not necessarily in that order.  So I wanted to prepare a meal that was quick without me slaving over the oven and stove.  It came out really tasty and that's according to the "maternal critic" aka mom, not me.   Jamie and our son enjoyed it, so I'm sharing it with you.   I'll just call it-   "T's BBQ Shredded Turkey"


              Receipe

1 1/2 lbs  Turkey Tenderloins
12            Fresh garlic cloves (minced)
1 Each     Red, green and orange pepper (only if you have time    
                to cut up)
1              Red onion (skip if you don't have time-- the garlic does
                does the trick)
1-2 tbsp   Smokey Mesquite Seasoning (Durkee Grill Creations)
1-2 tbsp   Crushed Red Peppers
1 tbsp      Lawry's Season Salt
1 tbsp      Brown sugar
8 oz.        KC Masterpiece BBQ or YOUR favorite BBQ sauce.
1              Crock pot or slower cooker (is there a difference?)

Okay, now quickly throw everything in the pot!   Wait!  Seriously, take about half the minced garlic, peppers and onions and place in the bottom of the crock-pot.  Place the tenderloins on top of  spices.  Put remaining garlic, peppers and onions on top of the tenderloins. Sprinkle other spices and sugar on top. Pour BBQ sauce over the tenderloin (don't stir).  Today I cooked it on high for about five hours, but usually I prefer cooking on slow for just a little longer.   You'll know that it's cook well enough when you can take two forks and pull the tenderloins apart.  The tenderloins will look shredded when you're done.

Today I served the BBQ tenderloin over No-Yolk Egg Noodles, but you can serve it over whatever you like- rice, potatoes, or other pasta.   Serve with a quick salad or your favorite vegetable.  I didn't remember to snap a photo until after we finished eating!  I'll try to remember to take a picture next time.  Enjoy dinner!

By the way, Tailor got to ride his bike; I overdid the cleaning, and haven't run yet.  Hmm. It's 6:30 so maybe I will just ride the stationary bike.  Just as I said on my last post.... it's a trade off.  I didn't get everything completed on my to-do list, but I did get half completed and.... the bonus was I made time to blog.  Not bad for a Sunday.

I hope that you have a fabulous week!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe Tanya. It sounds good. I will try it out after Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RM- I love cooking this; it's so easy and it tastes like you slaved over the stove fixing it. Please let me know how it turned out and don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions. Mmm... Yummy, I can taste it already.

    ReplyDelete